Subject: Re: Big SCSI-Drives?
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1998 22:43:44
At 14:41 Uhr +0200 09.04.1998, henning loeser wrote:
>Hi everyone
>I haven't been following the discussions lately but I remember ( I think
>it was Hauke) posting something about his brand new 4.3 GB IBM drive not
>working with NetBSD. Could someone please fill me in on whether there is
>a general problem with big drives or just with this special one ??? Are
>there others that don't work either ...

This seems to vary a bit with drive hardware, cpu hardware, SCSI driver and
driver $Id$...

In my case I finally got the DCAS to work by hooking it on a IIci instead
of the Q700 (different driver) for newfs'ing  and sticking with a total of
seven partitions ( + driver + partition table). A NetBSD kernel > 1.3beta
would "reliably" crash upon the advent of an eighth partition on the disk,
no matter what type it was. See PR mac68k/5174 for details.

What I still saw during installation on the Q700 were error messages from
the SCSI driver after some 50 MB of transferred data.

Other than that the DCAS is a very nice HD, silent fast and low-power
(350/350 mA).  8-/

YMMV with other disks, machines and drivers...

	hauke