Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1998 16:38:03
Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com> wrote:

>But there is one point that worries me: even if we have (for NetBSD) a
>working ide driver, how could we use  the { install, booter } programs
>with ide disks since they only support scsi for now (?).

The Mkfs and Install Utilities share the same low-level disk I/O
routines.  I'm not sure what the Booter uses, but it may be just some
higher-level MacOS I/O stuff.  Anyway I've been working on upgrading Mkfs
to handle IDE and the alternate SCSI Bus stuff.  I lifted the code from
pdisk in the DR2.1 Update 6 release of MkLinux.  So far I have all the
low-level disk I/O stuff working and now all I need to do is finish up
the menus and import newfs from NetBSD. (Right now the code can find and
identify everything I have on my systems, both IDE and SCSI.) I'd planned
on using the current version of newfs as it supports both BSD4.2 and
BSD4.4 filesystems, although the Installer only handles BSD4.2 right now.
 I don't know when I'll finish this effort, but if I knew we had someone
actively working on the IDE support in NetBSD/mac68k I'd try a little
harder.

-bob