Subject: Re: IDE Support & How to find the base address ?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@echna.or.jp>
From: Gwenole Beauchesne <gwenole.beauchesne@iname.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1998 20:50:54
Hi,

> Recently I had a conversation with Michael Schmitz, an active member
> of MacLinux development team, about their IDE support on Mac.  He says

Yes, that's right. I "full-test" it ;-). Actually, I had a working
MacLinux box on my poor Q630 on a Quantum Sirocco IDE drive. I installed
the watchtower distribution but trased it afterwards. Because I'm trying
to install the Debian 2 distrib.

> If they could do it, so should we.  Unfortunately, I don't have an IDE
> Mac, so if anyone wants to work on the driver with the information he
> gave me, please let me know.

Unfortunately, I am not so sure I could do that (never compiled kernels
before, lack of experience in the devleopment of such projects, and so
on...). But I currently have a working NetBSD 1.3 distrib on my SyJet
cart and compiled gcc 2.8.1.

But there is one point that worries me: even if we have (for NetBSD) a
working ide driver, how could we use  the { install, booter } programs
with ide disks since they only support scsi for now (?).

  -- Gwenole --