Subject: Re: Remote compiles (Re: Netscape)
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1998 20:09:46
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Josh Hope wrote:
> I have a question. How does one cross compile? Is there a FAQ on this at
> the web site? I remember seeing one, but as I remember it only talked
> about cross compiling a kernel...can you only cross compile the kernel?

There's probably just the HOWTO (http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/cc-HOWTO)
Cross-compiling the kernel is probably easier, but it should be possible
to cross-compile just about anything. For example, I compiled Mozilla
for NetBSD/m68k on my Pentium. There are some potential problems, but
they can usually be worked around...

Anyways, ‰basically you download binutils (2.8.1 is the latest, I think)
from prep.ai.mit.edu or a GNU mirror. configure --target=m68k-netbsd,
then make and install it. Do the same for gcc (also at version 2.8.1,
but 2.7.2.x might be a bit easier to work with). If you're gonna be
compiling stuff other than kernels, you'll need to install include files
and libraries (i.e. the comp and maybe xcomp sets) in
/usr/local/m68k-netbsd/include and lib. Now you can set
CC=m68k-netbsd-gcc (and maybe LD=m68k-netbsd-ld, AS=m68k-netbsd-as,
etc...) and try to compile something :) Or put
/usr/local/m68k-netbsd/bin first in your path, and just use plain gcc,
et al.