Subject: Re: LocalTalk
To: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1998 11:49:50
On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Christoph Ewering wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> I wonder if it is possible to use NetBSD with LocalTalk as an
> AppleShare-Server?

Nope. We don't support LocalTalk yet, otherwise it would.

It's #3 on my to-do list. #1 is my Ph.D. defense next week. :-) #2 is add
support for serial cards (should be quick).

I'd planned to add LocalTalk as part of an lkm adding HDLC/SDLC framing
support to the M.I. 8530 driver. So everyone could do HDLC, etc.. Also, I
wanted to see a huge set of patches which add an if_detach routine go into
-current first (as otherwise you'll not be able to unload the LocalTalk
lkm, which is the point of an lkm!)

But that's taking too long, so I think I'll just knock off a driver which
will work for now.

Take care,

Bill