Subject: Re: Sluggishness (not just slow)
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1998 21:50:17
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> I've been having a great time learning UNIX and administration for the
> past few months with NetBSD 1.3. As of late, though, things have been
> getting kind of flaky.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I noticed that it was starting to take an unusual
> while (30 seconds and up, sometimes several minutes) to access services
> that require authentication (like telnet and qpopper). Sometimes, I
> can't access anything at all; even httpd and the rest take a seat!
> (IPFilter never has trouble, fortunately, else I might have no way of
> sending this message!) As you might suppose, I'm somewhat perturbed by
> this behavior, as the only change I can recall making to the system is
> the addition of an entry for a machine on my private net in /etc/hosts.
> I looked through /etc/gettytab, /etc/ttys, and /etc/inetd.conf, and
> found nothing amiss. Any ideas where the silliness might be originating?

Here's a guess.  Check and make sure your nameserver is working, assuming
you're connecting from a host that has a DNS entry.  If you don't have a
nameserver running, make sure your configuration is set up not to try dns
(I forget which file in /etc it is).  My bet is that it's waiting for a
DNS lookup to time out, which would take a while.  Does telnet work
correctly after the initial connection?

David