Subject: Ethernet for LCIII e IIsi
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Renzo Orsini <orsini@unive.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1998 12:15:08
Dear sirs,

first of all thank you very much for your fine work! I just installed
NetBSD on a LCIII in our lab and was impressed by viewing the bootstrap
messages on the screen. At the University of Venice, Italy, Department of
Computer Science, we have more than 50 IIsi and LCIII macs, and wanted to
see if they can be used somehow, despite their age.

Coming to the point: our LCIII have the following ethernet card:
Ethernet LC Card Apple Computer, 820-0443-E,
where I can identify a SONIC chip with the following two numbers:
DP83932 BVF and S9330FL.
On these machines, the kernel prints the message:

ae0 on nubus 0 slot e: cannot determine the size of RAM

(or something similar)

On a IIsi, on the other hand, the kernel prints the following message:

nubus 0 slot 9 Apple Ethernet NB Card (Vendor: Copyright (C) 1990, 1991
Apple Computer, Inc., Part: 341-0246) Type: 000a 0001 ffff 0002 not
configured.

Having read the FAQs, HowTo, and the Ethernet Status page, I tried also a
kernel marked as test kernel in the Ethernet Status, as well as the generic
one, with the same results. So, if I understand well, the Apple Ethernet NB
Card is out of question, while some hope could be for the Apple Ethernet LC
Card, with the SONIC DP83932 chip.  Moreover, having read in Networking
HowTo:

-----
If you have an
Ethernet interface that doesn't work, can determine which chip is used, and
are willing to run
some debugging probes to find the required addresses then email
port-mac68k@netbsd.org
with your specifics and you may get some help making your interface work
with one of the
existing drivers.
-----

I am asking you help on the matter, providing that we can help as best as
possible in order to put at work at least the LCIII cards.

Thank you very much for your attention,

Best Regards,

Renzo Orsini.

Professor Renzo Orsini                   | Phone: +39 41 2908426
Universita' di Venezia,                  | FAX:   +39 41 2908419
Corso di Laurea in Informatica,          | orsini@unive.it
Via Torino 155, 30173  Mestre            |