Subject: Re^2: LCII will not boot, the kernel never gets control
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marcus Daniel <danielm@uni-muenster.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1998 00:11:07
Hi everybody, it's me again.

> The LCII should be working; I'm pretty sure I've heard from numerous
> people who are using one.
I'm getting my hopes up again.

> > P.S. the mac is in 32bit mode with virtual memory disabled and the
> > kernel
> > is a gzipped one, so I think
> > there should be no problems with it being falsely downloaded as a text
> > file.
>
> I have a feeling that this is your problem.  I've had limited success with
> gzipped kernels, especially those that are gzipped with the -9 option (as
> I believe our current ones are).  If I were you, I'd gunzip the kernel
> file (making sure to do it in binary mode) and try again.  BTW, just
> because the kernel was in gzipped format doesn't mean that it wasn't
> downloaded as a text file.  Many applications download unknown file types
> as text by default.
>
> I hope this helps.

I am sorry to say that it didn't.
Before I downloaded the kernel with netscape 2.02, now I did it with a
better controlable environment. I used fetch in binary mode and dezipped the
thing with MacGzip, also in binary mode.

My Mac still hates me <sniff>. Output, output, blah, switching to monochrome
mode, saying:
> >      Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.
> >      Closing log file

And then freezing up.

I'll mail you my log file if you like, I open the box And write down serial
numbers and chip names, I'll do anything you like, but pleeeaaaase help
meeeeeee! (dramatic scene, thunder, dark of night, full moon, about to jump
off a cliff, etc.).

Did Apple do screwy things to the German LC II ? I didn't do anything to it.
I even ripped out the 12 MB so I only had 6MB in the hope that it was the
2MB exceeding the 10MB limit disturbing the boot process. Well, it wasn't.

Thanks in advance.

Marcus