Subject: Re: Networking problem...
To: gabe rosenkoetter <gabe@tjs.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/25/1998 15:01:02
gabe rosenkoetter wrote:
> I have a Performa 636 with the LC040 replaced by an 040 which boots just
> fine into NetBSD. Now I'm trying to configure it for networking.
>
> I have a Sonic chip and am using NetBSD 1.3, so I've created ifconfig.sn0
> and so forth as outlined in the NetBSD/Mac Ethernet Networking HowTo at
> http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/networking/ .
>
> When I boot into NetBSD, the machine reads sn0 just fine and happily
> starts networking protocols during the boot process, but I am unable to
> actually use any network-related software.
>
> ping returns:
>
> <date> <machine name> /netbsd: sn0: Tx - lost interrupt
>
> [then, when it finally decides to start sending]
>
> ping: sendto: Host is down
>
> This is clearly not true, as I'm writing from the very machine I was
> trying to ping and it is certainly up and on the network.
>
> Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem? (I
> can provide more information about the exact configuration if that would
> help.)

I believe that this is due to an interrupt clearing problem with the
internal video (I think Michael Zucca knows more).  I think that Scott
Reynolds committed a fix for this in -current on Sunday, although that
could have been something else entirely.  You might want to see PR 4988
for more info on this one.  Michael, do you know any more?

Later.