Subject: Re: dialup problems
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1998 11:54:25
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, SamMaEl wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Don't set 'local' on the tty if there is a dial-in modem on that line! If
> > you're setting up a dial-in situation, you do want all of the carrier
> > detection magic 'local' turns off.
>
> 	Someone suggested this in case there were a problem with the
> detection. It didn't work ;-)

If there's a problem with detection, fix it. :-) Setting 'local' only
partially covers the problem. Not having 'local' set is a big part of
UNIX's modem handling model.

Check your modem cable.

> > Don't use defaultroute. It's for client ppp. You're trying to set up the
> > server side, which is a bit different.
>
> 	So, how does the client get its route to the ppp server? Or, is
> that something that will 'just happen'? ;-)

The IP addresses usually come from the server, so the client buids that
route. With "defaultroute", pppd adds a default route set to the IP
address on the other side of the ppp link.

> 	Actually no... normally I use dialup PPP for internet. If I got a
> 2nd line... well, 3rd line... that would be the dialup line. Actually,
> I've been wondering whether or not it would be possible to use 1 modem to
> host multiple calls simultaneously. They have 3 way calling, why not 3 way
> modemming? ;-)

Well, first check to make sure that the server computer can communicate
well with the dialed-in one.

Then you have to make sure that your ISP has a route saying that the
dialed-in IP address is gotten to via the server. Basically so the ISP
knows to send ppp.whomever.org packets to your NetBSD box.

Take care,

Bill