Subject: Re: Fastest NetBSD 68k computer?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1998 09:36:11
>> >Well, the SCSI performance will increase to where it should have the
>> >fastest performance in the mac68k world if they get the DMA working, which
>> >as Colin mentioned is being looked at. Why would you say that 1.3 might
>> >have problems with serial I/O? While I don't exactly tax my serial port,
>>
>> There were some issues relating to interrupt priority.  I recall a concern
>> being expressed that putting the mace (av-motherboard) ethernet driver at
>> high-enough priority to get full performance might impact the serial port
>> interrupt response.  I really can't speak to the details.  Allan Briggs or
>> Bill Studenmund (or our portmaster Scott, of course) might know how it all
>> settled out.
>
>Well, if I remember right the AV's are also capable of doing serial DMA. So
>perhaps if Bill feels up to it... :-) I think it's pretty cool that we
>managed to get DMA ethernet into the kernel so fast.

Yes, the AVs support DMA in most systems. Here's a snippet from Noah
Price's AV spec page (he's hardware team member @ Apple):

=========
I/O Features Overview

Both AV models support Direct Memory Access (DMA). Serial (including
LocalTalk and GeoPort), 53C94 SCSI, Ethernet, floppy, and audio are all
supported with DMA drivers.
=========

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.