Subject: Re: dialup problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1998 02:52:47
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, SamMaEl wrote:
>
> > 	I tried to get both a dialup shell and PPP working again tonight,
> > and both failed again. I DO get a connection, in both cases. But, either
> > getty is not recognizing the connection, or something else is going wrong,
> > because I have tried every terminal program that I have, with every form
> > of flow control and tried both 1, 0, and auto stop bits... everything I
> > could try. I went through the termcap manpage, the /usr/share/misc/termcap
> > database (to find /etc/gettytab syntaxes, etc), the /etc/gettytab file and
> > manpage, the manpage for /etc/ttys, the getty manpage... and nothing has
> > helped. I took someone's suggestion and tried adding 'local' to the line
> > in /etc/ttys, but that didn't help either. 8-( I also tried rtscts, and
> > mdmbuf, but neither of those helped either.
>
> Don't set 'local' on the tty if there is a dial-in modem on that line! If
> you're setting up a dial-in situation, you do want all of the carrier
> detection magic 'local' turns off.

	Someone suggested this in case there were a problem with the
detection. It didn't work ;-)

> > 	So... is there any way to see if getty is actually noticing the
> > connection, or how can I tell what's going on from the NetBSD side?
>
> What is running on that port? You need to have not set 'local', and have
> getty on for that line. What error messages show up in the logs?

tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty dialup"     vt100 on

	dialup is basically std.38400. I've tried various terminal
emulations, and I've tried adding 'rtscts' and 'mdmbuf' without the quotes
of course, and neither have helped any.

	I DID notice a failed login attempt from tty00, which must have
been from when I had it on the modem port. Actually, I have 2 modems and
the one that is answering calls is on tty01, the other I had taken out so
I could make the call with it ;-) I'll try switching the other modem over
to tty00 to see if it makes a difference, and switch the getty as well.

> Don't use defaultroute. It's for client ppp. You're trying to set up the
> server side, which is a bit different.

	So, how does the client get its route to the ppp server? Or, is
that something that will 'just happen'? ;-)

> I gather the internet is hooked up via the ethernet (i.e. another router)?
> Where did you set things up so the Ethernetted mac will accept IP packets
> from the net for the address on the otherside of the router? I'm not sure
> how to do that, but I think you need ailas addresses on the ethernet
> interface (well, I'm sure you need that, but I'm not sure how to ensure
> that the kernel knows what to do with the received packets).

	Actually no... normally I use dialup PPP for internet. If I got a
2nd line... well, 3rd line... that would be the dialup line. Actually,
I've been wondering whether or not it would be possible to use 1 modem to
host multiple calls simultaneously. They have 3 way calling, why not 3 way
modemming? ;-)

> > 	P.S. And once again... this would probably be a great candidate
> > for a HOW-TO to be written, and would be pretty system independent (except
> > maybe, modem devices, etc...) Hint, hint, hint... ;-)
>
> I think I hear an author. Hint, Hint, Hint :-)

	Once I get it working, I'll work on one ;-)

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!