Subject: Re: Fastest NetBSD 68k computer?
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1998 17:18:49
At 7:22 PM -0800 2/24/98, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>>The Quadra 840av if you mean CPU and Ethernet.  About $750 is what I've
>>seen them for.
>>
>>It has the slowest disk driver though, and the stock 1.3 might have some
>>problems with really high speed serial I/O.  I think all the Quadra's share
>>the same SCSI driver though and the CPU makes any deficiencies worth
>>putting up with.
>
>Well, the SCSI performance will increase to where it should have the
>fastest performance in the mac68k world if they get the DMA working, which
>as Colin mentioned is being looked at. Why would you say that 1.3 might
>have problems with serial I/O? While I don't exactly tax my serial port,

There were some issues relating to interrupt priority.  I recall a concern
being expressed that putting the mace (av-motherboard) ethernet driver at
high-enough priority to get full performance might impact the serial port
interrupt response.  I really can't speak to the details.  Allan Briggs or
Bill Studenmund (or our portmaster Scott, of course) might know how it all
settled out.