Subject: Re: I can't access to modem by iij-ppp
To: 'port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG' <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1998 11:47:22
>I am trying to run iij-ppp on my lc630.

Funny you should ask... I just spent last night trying
to run the same thing on a Sparc 2 running NetBSD/Sparc 1.3.

>Now no communication is failed tty00 to modem.
>that is mean
>I enter ppp and term , following message is out
>>ppp
>User Process PPP. Written by Toshiharu OHNO.
>Using interface: tun0
>Interactive mode
>ppp ON mac> term
>OpenModem: Cannot get modem status: Inappropriate ioctl for device 139440
> 4 1
>Failed to open modem.
>ppp ON mac> quit

Same here. It appears to not open the modem correctly (if at all).

Also, it appears to not read the config files correctly (or not at all).

Out of curiousity, does the string "139440" appear anywhere in your
ppp.conf file?
That is not the default name for the modem device (tty01), so I wondered
if it
picked up part of the phone number or something. This would tell us if
the
program was at least reading the ppp.conf file.

>my mchine
>    Q630, MacBSD1.3

It's not a hardware problem, unless it's (possible) word-order-related.
Personally, I suspect stdio issues.

>    iij-ppp include FreeBSD2.2.5

Same here.

>        I changed the source
>              if_tun.h ,if_tun.c, libiotcl.h ->iotcl

This is where I differ. I modified ppp/tun.c, instead, to set the
IFF_POINTOPOINT
mode according to the current IOCTLs. The if_tun.[ch] files were
replacemnt kernel
files for NetBSD 1.0. The tun driver has evolved (and diverged)
considerably since
then.

I don't think, though, that this is the problem unless it is*totally*
screwing up the
application. If it was just the tun driver, I would *expect* it to
connect, but not
work (or at least not allow net connections).

As for those who wonder why one would use iij-ppp instead of the
included pppd, I
offer three reasons:

1) Seamless integration of ip-nat and demand-dial ppp functionality.

2) Familiarity... some of us do run other BSD variants on our x86 boxen.

3) Diversity- the Unix way. :-)

Any thoughts?
<<<John>>>