Subject: Re: Delete by date
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 15:07:46
On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> > Change option NO to Yes in the file (I forget the name off hand) the
> > How-to told me to change.  (??If this is required to boot multi-user
> > then why isn't it set up that way to begin with???)
>
> The idea is to force you to look at and configure rc.conf before you boot
> multi-user since there are several things in there you may want to enable
> for your first multi-user boot.  The real reason this isn't done
> automatically is that we don't use sysinst to install NetBSD (like many
> other ports do).  I believe that sysinst will ask you what you want to
> enable and modify the file for you automatically.

The reason you're supposed to look at rc.conf is that a number of settings
affect a firewall. The thought is that a newly upgraded firewall should
NOT go multi-user in pass-all mode on the filters. So fresh installs won't
boot w/o someone having configured them. It's not a big deal (or it's a
hassle) for most mac68k users, but a number of our fellows on other ports
have NetBSD boxes in mission-critical roles. This "feature" is for them.
:-)

Take care,

Bill