Subject: Re: 68LC040?!
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 12:07:54
At 9:44 AM -0800 2/23/98, Colin Wood wrote:
>Lars Hagstrom wrote:
>[Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
>> >
>> >Yes, I would if I were you.  It should stop you from getting some errors
>>
>> I've tested my machine (lc630) with softwareFPU and speedometers fpu
>> benchmark, and it seems to work, so I concluded that my LC040 is alright.

>> Are the errors I experience due to the FPE or is it something else, can I
>> expect them to get solved if i manage to compile the libm?
>
>The errors you are seeing now that you have installed the old libm are due
>to broken FPE.  What you are seeing now is probably "as good as it gets"
>unfortunately.  Many people have decided that the machine is usable, even
>with all of the segfaults.  Perhaps someone will find that final bug in
>the FPE?

Now that Ken Nakata has a working MacBSD machine again you could beg him to
get back to this problem.  If you offered to help him with testing it might
make a difference.

He did the '030 FPE we have and said he had figured out what was needed,
but wasn't able to actually implement it.  I gather it's more than a simple
bug-fix, more like a redesign since the '040 handles addressing differently
if I understood him correctly.