Subject: Re: (yet another) color X server available
To: None <kenn@physics.rutgers.edu>
From: David Johnston <david@antares.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 20:53:39
[ extract of message from Ken Nakata on "(yet another) color X server available" ]
> Hi,
>
> I kind of succeeded to modify the Xmac68k_color server to support
> multiple pixel depth up to 32 bit (but 32 bpp support is broken...
> hence "kind of succeeded").  I would like you to try it out.

It works very well on my LC475 in both 256 colour grey scale and 16 bit
colour. The colours look correct and the performance is very good - no
jerkiness at all in either mode. Well done!

Unfortunately my machine can only take 1 MB of video ram, so I can only run
at 832x624 in 16 bit mode :-(. Life can be very hard sometimes...

Unfortunately the kernel obviously has the wrong idea of the layout of video
ram, as in 16 bit mode the screen is a bit screwed up (the edge of the screen
is offset to the left by about 100 pixels so it wraps around) - it's nothing
to do with the X server, as the same thing happens to the internal video
console. It shouldn't be hard for me to work out what is going wrong and fix
it.

	david

--

David Johnston