Subject: Re: (yet another) color X server available
To: None <khym@bga.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1998 00:53:00
On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 17:51:51 -0600 (CST),
Dave Huang <khym@bga.com> writes:

> Oooh, awesome! :) I tried it in 16bit truecolor on my 660av, and it
> works wonderfully :)

I'm glad it works for you.  Mine's an 840av, so the hardware's pretty
much the same and there shouldn't be any surprise factor, though.

> Everything's sorta bright, but that's how Macs are,
> I guess (gamma correction and stuff). "midnightblue" is more of a normal
> blue, for example.

Hmm, midnightblue looks on my screen more like a very dark blue to me.
You and I may be using different gamma correction.  It's funny I
received similar complaints when I made my first color server
available...  Or is it just me who sets the monitor much darker than
other people?

> With the limited VRAM in the 660av, I can't get 1024x768 resolution
> though... I don't suppose anyone knows a hardware hack to expand the
> VRAM on a 660av, huh? :) (I can do surface mount)

Sorry, can't help here.  I suppose you could piggy-back extra VRAM
chips on top of existing ones, except a pin or two (probably CS, and
maybe RAS and/or CAS) that have to be wired directly from some unused
signal(s) of the CIVIC chip, but which CIVIC pin, I have absolutely no
idea.

Ken