Subject: Re: Processor Direct Slot / Ethernet
To: None <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 17:37:08
Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> I am actively seeking to buy network interface cards for my P550 and my
> fiance's P6200.  Both have a PDS expansion slot.
>
> I have read the Apple TIL #10308 regarding PDS differences among Mac
> models, but I am still somewhat confused.
>
> This is what I _think_ I understand so far:
>
> 	-The earliest Macs had none (Classic, Classic II, Powerbook)

	Actually, the SE and II-series Macs are all older than any of the
	above machines.  These were just cheap.

> 	-The SE has a unique one (96 pins but a unique wiring scheme)
> 	-The SE/30 and IIfx have yet another (120 pins) [also IIsi?]
> 	-Quadras use a 140-pin connector.
>
> 	-All computers in the LC class use a 96-pin slot, except the LC
> 	III, which uses a 114-pin slot.  However, all machines after the
> 	LC III have a slot that can accomodate either the 96 or 114 pin
> 	cards. This "LC" slot is the most common type.
>
> Now, whether this is correct or not ...

Your guess is as good as mine.

> I have found cards being advertised as "for LC, LCII, LCIII, LC475, and
> Quadra 605"  The brand/manufacturer is unknown to me.  My question is,
> will these cards work in the aforementioned machines, P550 and P6200?

I'd be vaguely suspicious of a card that could work in both a 68k Mac and
a PowerMac, but I don't have any solid technical details why it wouldn't.
The 6200 might use the CommSlot II cards, tho (or is is LC II slot, I
can't remember).  I do know that the 6400-series Performas use the newer
`II' version of the slot, tho.

Later.