Subject: Processor Direct Slot / Ethernet
To: port-mac68k , IO-MUG <IOMUG@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU>
From: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@BGNet.bgsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 18:52:27
I am actively seeking to buy network interface cards for my P550 and my
fiance's P6200.  Both have a PDS expansion slot.

I have read the Apple TIL #10308 regarding PDS differences among Mac
models, but I am still somewhat confused.

This is what I _think_ I understand so far:

	-The earliest Macs had none (Classic, Classic II, Powerbook)
	-The SE has a unique one (96 pins but a unique wiring scheme)
	-The SE/30 and IIfx have yet another (120 pins) [also IIsi?]
	-Quadras use a 140-pin connector.

	-All computers in the LC class use a 96-pin slot, except the LC
	III, which uses a 114-pin slot.  However, all machines after the
	LC III have a slot that can accomodate either the 96 or 114 pin
	cards. This "LC" slot is the most common type.

Now, whether this is correct or not ...

I have found cards being advertised as "for LC, LCII, LCIII, LC475, and
Quadra 605"  The brand/manufacturer is unknown to me.  My question is,
will these cards work in the aforementioned machines, P550 and P6200?

Thanks for your help,

Jeffrey Ohlmann