Subject: Re: Color X
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 11:50:27
On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Justin R. Smith wrote:

> It sure LOOKS like color -- albeit the WRONG color. It's better on my eyes
> than pure gray. Does this mean, that when you OFFICIALLY support 8bit
> color, it will show up as the right colors? (So it's the color MAPPING
> facility that doesn't quite work?)

Yes. When we say, "we support color," we mean color will work as well as
on any other Xserver. We will get the colors right. We will be able to
CHANGE the colors. :-) We will also be able to change the video resolution
on some cards.

The problem's that we don't talk to the video hardware at the moment at
all. Color mapping is one obvious problem. No mode control is the other.
So basically this Xserver will just make assumptions about the video
state. If you're not using 16 bit color or grayscale, then the assumptions
are wrong. :-)

Take care,

Bill