Subject: Re: Partition -1 is non-existant, still
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 04:56:15
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> responds:
>Dale Einarson wrote:
>> Note:  Silverlining tells me that "MacBSD" it is partition#3 ( referance
>>Zacintosh is #2)
>
>Well, about my only guess at the moment is that what you have listed in
>the partition name box in the Options->Booting dialog is not the name of
>the partition (it's conceivable that you have 1 or more non-printing
>characters in the name that just aren't showing up).  If Mkfs isn't
>capable of renaming the partition, a formatter should be.  Just make sure
>that you know _exactly_ what the name is.  If this isn't it, I don't know
>what is....

My system boots fine with the "name of the partition" field blank. You need
only enter the name of the kernel (netbsd, usually), and the SCSI ID. I've
gathered, from earlier discussions, that Mkfs sets a bit in the partition
map when you convert a partition to "Root" or "Root & Usr," and that the
booter looks for that bit.