Subject: Re: Color
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 09:42:32
henning loeser wrote:
> I get the simular results to what Justin wrote on my Quadra 700 with 8
> Bit Colordepth on the internal video. The palette seems to be off. But I
> can run all the colors I want to, trying some random RGB values my
> desktop looks quite ok by now.

It's the "trying random RGB values" part that I would consider broken.  It
should "just work", but without pallete-switching, it won't.

> > Can you get any more colors?  If you look at the README, Ken's server only
> > supports grayscale in 8-bit mode on internal video.  What you are seeing
> > is a result of having a rather random CLUT setup (or perhaps some strange
> > interaction between TrueColor and an 8-bit CLUT).  You need 16-bit mode or
> > better to use TrueColor with this new server.
> Hmm I read on the README:
> #2. Will it run on my internal video?
> #
> #Yes, it will.  It does even the color on your internal video, albeit
> #in a somewhat restricted manner.  Because there is not yet any device
> #driver support for changing video mode and color pallette on the
> #internal video hardware, you will have to initialize those prior to
> #booting NetBSD (i.e. using Monitors control panel etc. in MacOS).

Well, if you consider the "restricted" color in 8bpp, more power to you.

> ok and then the stuff about doing only StaticGrey in 8bpp followed by
>
> #If the grf device has video ROM driver support provided by either
> #SLOTMAN or video_lkm, the server can support GrayScale, StaticColor,
> #and PseudoColor in 1, 4, and 8 bpp depths, in addition to StaticGray.
>
> I haven't tried installing the video_lkm but it sound to me as if it
> should correct the colorproblem und run allright ???

Do you have a NuBus video card?  If not, the LKM or SLOTMAN kernels are
completely useless.  Michael Zucca is supposed to be getting close to
releasing an INTVID2 test kernel, tho (of course, I can't promise anything
for him :-) and this should give you pallete-switching support on internal
video (although I don't think that it will support all machines when it
first comes out).

Later.