Subject: Re: Color
To: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 09:11:22
Justin R. Smith wrote:
> I'm running NetBSD 1.3 on a P475 and have noticed:
>
> 1. I get color on internal video using the new color X server, but the
> colors are off: Red displays as a very dark (almost black) red, yellow
> displays as blood read, green displays as magenta, and blue displays as
> pea-green.
>
> xsetroot -solid chocolate
>
> displays a nice French blue...
> (which was what I wanted).
>
> I have my booter set to change my monitor to 256 colors (although that is
> the default on my machine). Also, the X server displays a message saying
> that it cannot read the video characteristics of my monitor from ROM, so it
> will assume True Color.

Can you get any more colors?  If you look at the README, Ken's server only
supports grayscale in 8-bit mode on internal video.  What you are seeing
is a result of having a rather random CLUT setup (or perhaps some strange
interaction between TrueColor and an 8-bit CLUT).  You need 16-bit mode or
better to use TrueColor with this new server.

> 2. (Unrelated to the new X server -- it always appeared): The picture seems
> "shifted up" by 5 or 6 pixels, i.e., there is a band along the bottom of
> the screen that shows whatever was on my mac screen before I booted up
> NetBSD (this remains after I start up X).
>
> And the top half of the characters (in the default mode -- before X is
> started up) are chopped off. This is minor, of course...

Sounds like the the base of VRAM is off a bit, or something like that
(i.e. perhaps we're drawing in the wrong spot).  Consider filing a PR if
you want it to get fixed (if you don't want to use send-pr, there is a
web-based form on www.netbsd.org).

I hope this clears things up a bit.

Later.