Subject: Re: Color X
To: None <p96raa@princeps.matematik.su.se>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 09:05:02
Rahman Amanullah wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Let me get this straight. Is it or isn't it possible to run color X with
> internal video in 8bit mode? If it is, how do I do it?

No, it is not.  If you'll read the README that Ken mentioned, 8-bit mode
will only allow you to use StaticGray (i.e. grayscale), not color, if you
are using internal video.

> This might a stupid question, but I am really lost in the jungle of
> NuBus-cards, 16-bit/1-bit and SLOTMAN-kernels.

Color video only works if you are using 16-bit color (since 32-bit isn't
supported quite yet).  If you can do 16-bit color, it should be as simple
as setting your monitor to 16-bit color before you boot (making sure that
the Booter _doesn't_ automatically switch you to a lower resolution) and
then start X from withing NetBSD.

Later.