Subject: Re: (yet another) color X server available
To: None <smirks@mail.eclipse.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1998 02:50:35
On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:57:43 -0500 (EST),
Chris <smirks@mail.eclipse.net> writes:
> Okay, correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this DOES work on internal
> video, AND it gives it color support?!

Yes, it does, if you follow the instructions.

> If this is true, I am somewhat confuesed about how I'd use it.  First, I
> am *still* using NetBSD 1.2, I have yet to have the time to download 1.3
> and install it, so would in work on 1.2 or is it for 1.3 only?  Second, I

I would think the latter.  I haven't tried, but if you try, the server
will probably complain about the shared libraries version, at least.

> am using a IIvx with internal video, and I am booting with the latest
> booter (1.11 I believe), the one that changes to 1 bit before it boots.

You mean, the one that *can* change the video mode.  It can also *not*
change the mode upon booting if you tell it not to.

> If I understand the readme correctly, if I use internal video, I
> have to specify everything in the monitors c'panel.  Now, does that
> mean that I STILL have to boot in 1bit, or do I now boot in 16bit,
> like I normally have it set in monitors?

You *HAVE TO* boot in 16-bit mode if you want colors.  You have to
make sure that Booter's not gonna change the mode to something else.
Remember, there's absolutely no way for NetBSD to change video mode on
the internal video, yet.  That means once you boot NetBSD in 1-bit
mode or whatever, you are stuck with it until next reboot, no matter
what.

Ken