Subject: Re: Swap, shells and Serial Consoles
To: Alberto <xperm@geocities.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1998 12:56:02
On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Alberto wrote:

> My aim was to Install NetBSD on the 525Mb Quantum, booting from the 80Mb
> one(well from the MacOs partition in it) and profiting the extra space in it(in
> the 80Mb one) for a small swap partition, so that the 525 Mb one would be
> entirely devoted to Unix from the first sector to the last.
>
> Am I doing Well? At startup netbsd says that there is no swap space: what am I
> doing wrong?

What's the message exactly?

Have you added the swap partition to /etc/fstab? Check the disklabel on
sd0 to make sure you get the right partition (it should be 'b', but I'm
not sure what happens if there isn't a root partition).

> Other thing that annoys me: No matter I boot single user or not , netbsd says at
> startup: "give me path for a shell or return for sh". Well, I press return ant
> netbsd says: "init: user session terminated" and again it shows the message
> "give me a shell...". If I try to give it the path of sh (/bin/sh) it runs sh,
> but when I write the first command (say, ls or reboot) the same message appeas
> again: "user session terminated... give a path for a shell..."

Sounds like something's wrong with the install. sh should be fine.

Also, the first time you boot, you'll need to mount root r/w, and edit
/etc/rc.conf. There's a "rc_configured" variable up toward the top. Change
it from NO to YES, and you'll be more likely to boot multi-user (you won't
be able to if you don't do this step).

Take care,

Bill