Subject: Swap, shells and Serial Consoles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alberto <xperm@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1998 11:03:37
Hi Friends! Baaaaaaaack Again!!!!

Listen Please,

Yesterday, I downloaded netbsd 1.3 and I've found the some problems. But first
of all let me tell you which is the status of my machine:

I have a Classic II with 10 Mbs of Ram and two Hard Disks inside it with these
partitions:

-An 80Mb HD (SCSI 0) with 55 Mbs for Mac OS and the rest (25Mb) for a Swap
Partition.
-An 525 Quantun HD (SCSI 1) with just a super partition Root & Usr: no macos, no
swap: just Unix.

My aim was to Install NetBSD on the 525Mb Quantum, booting from the 80Mb
one(well from the MacOs partition in it) and profiting the extra space in it(in
the 80Mb one) for a small swap partition, so that the 525 Mb one would be
entirely devoted to Unix from the first sector to the last.

Am I doing Well? At startup netbsd says that there is no swap space: what am I
doing wrong?

Other thing that annoys me: No matter I boot single user or not , netbsd says at
startup: "give me path for a shell or return for sh". Well, I press return ant
netbsd says: "init: user session terminated" and again it shows the message
"give me a shell...". If I try to give it the path of sh (/bin/sh) it runs sh,
but when I write the first command (say, ls or reboot) the same message appeas
again: "user session terminated... give a path for a shell..."

What the Hell Happens?

One More Thing: How can I use a serial console with Microphone Lite and a
Xwindows emulator (say MacX) with other Mac? Tell me all the steps, please.

Thank you very much. Please, reply to my mail : xperm@geocities.com

Alberto, Spain.