Subject: sn0 and rebooting troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Joyce <robjoyce@Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1998 00:25:22
Hi all,
	I have two questions/problems.  First, as I am on a very busy
network, I occasionally get the "sn0: Receive descriptors exhausted"
message on the console.  Remote windows and such begin to disappear, as I
would expect if the connections time out.  The strange part is, after only
getting this message once, the entire BSD TCP/IP system seems to freeze.
For example, netstat will hang indefinitely, and any further attempts to
ping or any other network activity will likewise freeze.  I even tried
shutting down into single-user, then bringing the system up again, only to
have it freeze (until Ctrl-C'ing) at starting sendmail.  When I go back to
MacOS, the network is fine.  Is something getting overwritten when the sn0
buffer fills?
	The second, probably unrelated, problem is that the machine will
not reboot properly from NetBSD.  I can do "shutdown -h now" (or "shutdown
-r now") and will get to the "You may now turn off your machine, or press
any key to reboot" message.  When the computer goes through the reset
sequence (ie, video blanks, etc.), I get the chimes of death before the
grey screen even returns!  Turning the machine off then on after the
"shutdown -h now" works, and MacOS then boots normally.  Not that much of
an inconvenience, but it means that I can't reboot the machine remotely!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
_Rob

(The machine is a Quadra 610 with 20MB and the 1.3 release kernel.  The
second problem has been happening since I started with 1.2.)