Subject: Re: Headless Machine Problems
To: <>
From: Tom Tarka <tommy@slackers.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1998 01:34:57
> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Dirk wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > Machine Type:  IIcx, 20MB RAM
> > Version of NetBSD: 1.3 release
> >
> > I've got a IIcx running headless, with a serial console on tty01.  The
> > serial line is sometimes (but not always) connected to my Powerbook.  Most
> > of the time when the serial line *is* connected, I run a ppp connection to
> > the Powerbook.  The IIcx has a modem on tty00, and does IP-NAT for the
> > Powerbook.
> >
> > Unfortunately, sometimes when the Powerbook isn't connected, the IIcx
> > chokes.  As near as I can tell without hooking something up to it, all
> > activity on the IIcx stops.  When I then re-connect the Powerbook, it looks

I'm actually having a similar problem for a similar situation, but it's not serial
console related.  Setup:
Headless IIcx, nothing connected to ADB, PPP to powerbook over serial line, ethernet
to the 'net.  I'll just be running something and the machine will die
dead dead dead.  Just sit there doing nothing and not come back (for
days -- it happened on a Saturday and I couldn't get into work to reboot it until
Monday).

So, this isn't a serial console problem.  It might be a kerberos related problem
(seem to happen when I run krb-applications), but it seems weird that
it would crash the entire machine w/o dumping core.

Specs:
IIcx, 8 physical ram, 8-bit graphx card, ethernet card
Kernel: HWDIRECTSBC #56
Disks: Numerous SCSI and a Zip drive

I'll try the non-SBC HWDirect and see if that helps, but any ideas are
appreciated