Subject: Re: Question about IP-NAT
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 15:49:00
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
> Which example file?

I dont' have the box in front of me, so I'll get back to that one.  I
think it's the second one in the examples directory... the lines that are
used for mapping from

> > The MacOS setup behaved identically via both OT-PPP and FreePPP... my
> > first problem was the initial connect... I had to change the pppd line
> > slightly to add a remote IP number for the PowerMac, since I couldn't find
> > a way to set that w/in PPP (sure, I think there's a way to set it in OT
> > itself, but easier to add ten characters to a line on the NetBSD box).
> > When that didn't work, I tried FreePPP and set its IP number (it has a box
> > for it).  No change.  The weird thing is that for both router and netmask
> > it says that no information is available (approximately).  I'm guessing
> > that I need to convince the NetBSD box to send extra information to tell
> > the MacOS system to use it as a gateway or something, but I'm not sure.
> > What's weird is that packets from the PowerMac appear to go out over the
> > second serial link, but nothing is returned, almost as if the ip-nat isn't
> > doing anything... which makes no sense.
>
> Do you have "options 	GATEWAY" in your kernel config?  (I think that
> GENERIC does, but I'm not sure).

It's a GENERIC (sbc) kernel.  It must have options GATEWAY, I'd think,
else it wouldn't work when the 7100 is in MkLinux, either....

> Generally, I hardwire my gateway address
> and netmask in the OT configuration dialog since I know that they are not
> going to change.  Is pppd capable of sending routing and netmask info in
> and of itself?

That's basically what I'm trying to figure out.  ;-)

David