Subject: Re: Question about IP-NAT
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 13:07:05
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have "options 	GATEWAY" in your kernel config?  (I think that
> > > GENERIC does, but I'm not sure).  Generally, I hardwire my gateway address
> > > and netmask in the OT configuration dialog since I know that they are not
> > > going to change.  Is pppd capable of sending routing and netmask info in
> > > and of itself?
> >
> > Uhm, since PPP is a point2point protocol, shouldn't the netmask always be
> > 255.255.255.255?
>
> That seems to make sense.  I don't actually use PPP to connect my home
> LAN, tho, so I was just grasping at straws on this one.

Well, as soon as I sent that, I checked my ppp link. Its netmask is
255.255.0.0. :-)

I'm not really sure what sense that netmask makes though. There's only one
IP address on the other side of the link.

Actually, what really matters (for routing) is what's in the routing
table. Even though my ppp link's netmask is 255.255.0.0, the only ppp
routes are /32 (which makes sense).

Take care,

Bill