Subject: Re: Logitech trackball T-AA1-4MD working now! (almost)
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@ucsd.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 11:45:01
CTAPYXA wrote:

> As John Wittkoski suggested, I installed HWDIRECT#394 and booted without
> any problems. Thanks a million. Now something else surfaced: the 2nd and
> 3rd buttons send Left and Right arrows instead of Pointer2 and 3
> respectively. I tried xmodmap -e "pointer = default", but it didn't make
> any difference. I sort of understand how to remap keyboard keys, they have
> hex or octal values, but what about this mixed case? I need to replace a
> keyboard value with a pointer one.
>
> Does anybody know?

What do the boot messages say? (Send a copy of 'dmesg'). It's
possible that your trackball is getting detected as something
other than a Logitech Trackman. Since your trackball is one of
the "busted" Logitech variety, the routines might not be
detecting it properly. If you get a chance, use the MacOS program
ADBProbe to look at the ADB registers in the trackball. Send the
the results both with and without extenstions enabled.

> P.S. Or, maybe, it can only work as a single button device? Then it defies
> its purpose and I need to get a truly working 3 button mouse...

If you can use three buttons in MacOS, it's just a matter of
adding support for it to the kernel for NetBSD.

Thanks.

	--John

P.S. There is a copy of ADBProbe at
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/jpw/kernels/testing/adbprobe.sea.hqx