Subject: Re: Question about IP-NAT
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1998 11:45:05
On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> > My setup is basically a PowerMac 7100 connecting through a IIsi which is
> > running IP-NAT.  It works w/o a hitch (after a few hours of scratching my
> > head only to discover IP filtering was off) as long as the 7100 is running
> > MkLinux.  I can't seem to get MacOS to work that way, though.  As long as
> > IP-NAT is off, I can at least connect from deepspace (7100) to
> > stavromula-beta (IIsi).  As soon as I turn that on, I lose even that.
>
> What does your ipnat.conf file look like?  How about your OT/MacTCP
> settings?  I have 2 Mac's running MacOS that connect to the 'Net via my
> Q700 running NetBSD and IP-NAT.  It works just fine for me.

The IP-NAT settings are taken directly from the example file for setting
up IP-NAT on a system with a dynamically assigned IP number, with the
interface name being ppp1 (the serial cable across to the PowerMac).
Since it works fine as long as the Mac's in MkLinux, I doubt that's the
problem.

The MacOS setup behaved identically via both OT-PPP and FreePPP... my
first problem was the initial connect... I had to change the pppd line
slightly to add a remote IP number for the PowerMac, since I couldn't find
a way to set that w/in PPP (sure, I think there's a way to set it in OT
itself, but easier to add ten characters to a line on the NetBSD box).
When that didn't work, I tried FreePPP and set its IP number (it has a box
for it).  No change.  The weird thing is that for both router and netmask
it says that no information is available (approximately).  I'm guessing
that I need to convince the NetBSD box to send extra information to tell
the MacOS system to use it as a gateway or something, but I'm not sure.
What's weird is that packets from the PowerMac appear to go out over the
second serial link, but nothing is returned, almost as if the ip-nat isn't
doing anything... which makes no sense.

Thoughts?
Davod