Subject: NFS w/ MkL PITA, and zstty rocks
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1998 11:21:41
Urgh... kind of confusing subject... two topics: serial drivers and NFS.

Just wanted to drop a note in the general direction of Bill Studenmund and
everyone else that the serial drivers in 1.3 are a major improvement.  I
only got one silo overrun, and that was when downloading a file via the
modem port and storing it simultaneously via NFS over a second ppp link on
the printer port....  Now if only MkLinux didn't have such a habit of
freezing while downloading files....

BTW, until I can get a 10base-T transceiver and an ethernet crossover
cable to hook the IIsi directly to the PM7100, I'm having to deal with the
crash-prone MkLinux serial implementation... and when it freezes, and it's
mounted by NFS, I end up rebooting it.  Unfortunately, the NFS mount is no
longer functional, even after reconnecting the PPP link.  That means that
the NetBSD box still thinks that the MkLinux box is mounted, and
subsequently, unmount processes block... as does anything else involving
those directories.

So... is there any way to forcibly destroy an NFS mount without rebooting
(and subsequently fsck'ing)?

And FWIW, are there any *free* ways of convincing my EZ135 not to
autoeject when unmounted in MacOS during the bootstrap?  (Besides not
having any partitions marked automount?)

David