Subject: Re: Off topic IIfx question
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 17:12:04
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Michael G. Schabert wrote:

> There are some very known "special requirements" on certain machines. For
> instance, the Mac IIx needs 30 pin SIMMs, but must use a special one,
> designated as "PAL" *JUST* for SIMMs of 4 MB size. The rest are normal. As
> you mentioned, the IIci is particular....but only *SOME* IIci's are. The
> IIci actually had 2 motherboard designs. One used Parity SIMMs, the other
> didn't. Aparently, you have one of the parity logic boards. To my knowlege,
> the IIci was the only parity-requiring Mac.

Yep.  At the time, US Government procurement requirements specified that
desktop computers had to support parity error checking on memory, so
Apple went and built parity support into one version of the IIci.  Funny
thing, though, parity SIMMs would work in the non-parity motherboards,
but not the other way around.

| Paul Goyette      | Public Key fingerprint:    | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |