Subject: Re: Termcap confusion
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 09:03:29
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> SamMaEl wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
> >
> > 	The first time I tried using vt220 (I had always used vt100, but
> > it was annoying when the prompt and cursor shoot halfway up the screen on
> > the terminal resetting), I tried using pine I think.. and it wouldn't
> > accept the arrows happily either. So, I just went back to vt100... still
> > works great for me. What might be the problem with vt220? Are the arrows
> > being mapped properly?
>
> I think that vt220 uses a different set of escape sequences from vt100,
> and this might be the difficulty you're running into.

The problem is that the vt100 and vt220 had two different sets of codes
coming from the arrow keys (I think they agree about the two sets).
termcap entries can only handle one set. If your terminal emulator uses
the set different from the set your termcap specifies, you have a problem.

I really think something's wrong w/ NetBSD's termcap handling. I can log
into my i386 at home from either my mac68k or my G3 running Xoftware, and
the keys work. If I then log onto an RS/6k and then to another NetBSD
machine, they keys DON'T work. Weird.

Take care,

Bill