Subject: Re: LaTeX2e (2nd)
To: henning loeser <loeser@ma1304.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1998 05:09:15
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, henning loeser wrote:

> Well I guess I wanted to get around the trouble of makeing a package ;-)
> , I had a glimpse at the notes on packages before but ohh all that
> lenghty text scared me away.

	It tries to cover everything, which does make it rather long :)

> But if as you said gmake allready comes with the system (I must say I
> didn't check this before I got the sources of make-3.76.1 and recompiled
> it myself, being the complete ignorant I am )

	It comes with the packages system - download and extract pkgsrc
	then 'cd /usr/pkgsrc/devel/gmake', 'make', will download the
	gmake source, patch, build, and install.

> then you could just download the source files for teTeX and compile the
> thing right away, almost out of the box, as I remember. The thing
> itself has a very descriptive INSTALL and README file that will tell you
> precisely what to change (basically nothing !)
> and it lets you change 'Make=make' to 'Make=gmake' in the Makefile.
> So to my understanding it's allready 'easy to use and install' as
> it is so why make a package of it? (As you can notice I try finding
> excuses here)

	The idea is to make all third party apps that people use into
	standard packages, plus it makes them easy to install _and_
	uninstall for users.

> The only drawback is that it consumes some diskspace at compiletime and
> as long as you keep the sources (Thats why I don't have them any more)
> but even that is said in the README.
> The only thing it didn't say was that it wont compile with MacBSD-make.
> I guess I could try to tar the whole binary teTeX tree now and maybe
> upload it somewhere ??? (Diskspace !!!)
> I myself prefer installing stuff from the sources that
> way I can talk myself into thinking that it will run on my specific
> system, plus it will end up at the location I want it to.

	Part of making a package is ensuring it can be installed anywhere
	the user wants by setting an environment variable.

		David/absolute

	"Damn... Still talking out loud"		(While chasing an isz)