Subject: Re: Termcap confusion
To: Greg Dunn <gregdunn@indy.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1998 21:30:49
Greg Dunn wrote:
> Sorry to make my initial post to the list a lame question...
>
> I've installed NetBSD 1.3#56 generic on my IIci (20MB, TFB video) and it
> has so far run beautifully.  I'm waiting for a larger HD to bring up a full
> install with X, GNU suite, etc.  but I couldn't resist installing bash and
> starting to configure the machine for my preferred defaults.
>
> The problem:  bash seems to like my up- and down-arrows on the Apple ext
> kbd II just fine, though it occasionally fails to erase trailing garbage
> when I scroll through the history buffer.  But vi refuses to recognize them
> as up and down.  I'm using the default vt220 mapping, but whether I have
> csh or bash as my shell, vi sees the escape sequences and doesn't recognize
> them as actions.

Hmmm...it works just fine on my machine, as long as I don't type too
quickly.  If I do, it will occasionally start inserting A's, B's, and D's.

> My previous experience in Linux and HPUX told me to check some things like
> TERM (set to vt220) and /etc/termcap, but BSD treats some of the config
> files differently.  Am I up against a kernel configuration problem here, or
> am I not looking in the right place for BSD's setup data?  No need to reply
> to the list unless the problem is of general interest; I can't find any
> comments relevant to this problem in the FAQ, though, so...

It's not in the FAQ b/c there wasn't a decent resolution to the problem
(IMO) when it came up last month (Jan 20th or so).  You can take a look at
the mailing list archives if you want the background.  I'm still not sure
why you are seeing this behavior.  You might try changing your terminal
type to vt100 and see if that helps.  Please let me know if it does.

Later.