Subject: Re: X display tectonics
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1998 14:14:26
David Brownlee wrote:
> 	The system is outputting a line to the console indicating
> 	an 'su' has taken place. You should really run xconsole or
> 	one 'xterm -C' to capture this console output.

I think that this requires "options UCONSOLE" in the kernel config file,
but the GENERIC kernels do include this option.

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:
>
> > Whenever I am running X under my own account and I su to root in one of
> > the xterms, the left hand side of the screen shifts up one line.  The
> > shifted section is about as wide as my system prompt, and there is a
> > small one-line high bit of black and white at the bottom left-hand corner
> > of the screen.  All the icons and windows lying on the "fault line" get
> > shifted also, and I usually make the windows into icons or vice versa to
> > get most everything back to looking like it should.  Generally, I have to
> > do something to cause a screen redraw to make it go away completely.
> >
> > I suspect what is happening is that somehow after I su, the new system
> > prompt is getting partially printed to the display.  Does anyone else
> > have this problem?  I don't see anything about this in the (April '97)
> > FAQ.  Can I do something to make this stop, or should I just live with
> > it?  I just noticed that even though xset has blanked the screen, when I
> > telneted in and su'd, the blanked screen shifted.

Just wondering, what FAQ was this that you were looking at?

> > System Info:
> > IIci running in 1.3 and the 1.3 X with 24MB RAM, 24MB swap on a Quantum
> > Maverick 540MB hard drive.  I am running X in color using the lkm and
> > color server.  I have an Apple High Resolution NUBUS board installed.
> > Kernel is GENERICSBC#56.

I you were running X in B&W mode, you would actually see the message that
it outputs.  For some reason, the text that prints after the screen
switches modes is all scrunched up.

> > I don't think the system has much to do with it though, because I used to
> > have this problem with the 1.2 ditribution too.

Make sure that you have the 1.3 version of xterm or xconsole if you are
going to try David's idea.  The 1.2 versions didn't seem to work.

Later.