Subject: Re: A few config questions
To: Jim Schmidt <jschmidt@tardis.svsu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/1998 14:50:39
Jim Schmidt wrote:
> Hi.  I'm running NetBSD 1.3 on my LC II, and I'm having problems with X
> windows.  THe first problem is that it won't launch if I'm running in
> color; it only works if I'm running in b/w. Second, It seems to launch
> properly if I do that, and I get an X cursor that moves, but that's it.
> >From what little I know, I should be seeing a login prompt if X launches
> properly, right?  When I try to launch other x utils (xterm, xdm, etc) I
> get a message that ends with "libXmu.so.6.0: No such file..."

Normally, I would say read the FAQ, or perhaps the INSTALL notes, but if
you can get X to run at all, it should be finding the X libraries.  Make
sure that your /etc/ld.so.conf is setup correctly as described in either
the FAQ or the INSTALL doc.

As for seeing a login widget when you start X, sorry, that's only if you
start XDM (the X Display Manager).  There is a pretty useful HOWTO on
setting this up which is available on Puma, btw.  Given that you have an
LC II, how long have you waited for X to "work"?  It could take 20 minutes
:-(

Assuming that you haven't mucked with creating your own .xinitrc file,
just typing "startx" should give you (I think) 2 normal xterms, 1 login
xterm, and an xclock, but the version that I have could be quite a bit
older than the once that comes with the 1.3 release.

> Also, I'm trying to get ppp to work, and there's one thing I don't
> understand.  It dials my provider and establishes a connection, but I
> can't make a tcp connection to any other server; can't even ping my dns
> server - "no route to host".

Do you give pppd the "defaultroute" option (either directly as an argument
or via the ppp-options file)?  If I were you, I'd suggest looking in the
/var/log/messages file and see what pppd is doing.  It might give you a
clue to what is going on.

> I know a previous message referred to learning the hard way, and I know
> about that - took me two days to figure out I'd misconfigured the memory
> settings in the booter :)

Really?  You're not actually supposed to touch the memory settings in the
Booter.  The option to do so will probably go away in the future (it
hasn't been needed since NetBSD 1.0).

> I've managed to get pico installed on my own
> and ircII compiled, and I'm working on netscape and apache for
> -playing's sake (neither of which will be of much use if I can't get ppp
> working, though).

Congratulations!  Although, I've just got to ask, where did you find
Netscape source? :-)

> I've gotten a few pointers from folks, and I'm going
> to try those out; just thought I'd send something this way as well,
> especially since X is a topic of late, and dialup is always nice to have :)

Well, hopefully the above will be of some use.

Good luck!