Subject: Re: core dumps all over the place
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@netcommandos.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/1998 17:15:58
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:56:24 CST,
"Jason E. Luther" rearranged the electrons to say:

>Is this a hardware problem? Unfortunately, I don't know what to do with a
>core file to see what caused the crash, but because none of the errors are
>reproducible, i don't think it is a software problem.

I had this happen to me when a first upgraded to 1.3, and I was able
to trace it to a SCSI problem.  Apparently the ncrscsi driver didn't
like one of my drives, but I was only able to confirm this by
repeatedly newfs-ing a filesystem on that drive.  It would work
ok about 75% of the time, but it would crap out with an error
every once in a while.  Since I had a swap partition on this drive,
I assumed that periodically when the kernel was manipulating
swap it had an error and core dumped the current process.
In any case, I switched to the sbc driver, and I put an active
terminator on my external SCSI bus, and the problems have gone
away.

Of course, your problem could be completely different!  :-)

Sean

---
Sean Sweda
sweda@ibl.org                     http://www.ibl.org/~sweda