Subject: Re: Don't log in as root
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1998 15:00:44
Hi,

I think having this message, no matter what the message is, wll lead to
FAQs from newbies.  If you want the message to be complete, you would
really need to say something like:

Don't log in as root. Create an account for yourself using the 'vipw'
command. Use 'man adduser' for more information. Then, in the /etc/group
file, add your newly-created username on the line that begins with
"wheel". Remember to separate usernames with commas and do NOT leave a
space in between. Now login using the newly-created account and then use
the 'su' command to give yourself root access.

No matter what you say, new UN*X users will still have questions until
they understand the basic concepts.

Mark

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> > in the default root $PATH.  Now the annoying FAQ-causing message is "Don't
> > login as root, use the su command."
>
> Well, I think it's a lot better than it used to be, "Don't log in as root,
> use su". A number of new folks thought they needed to use the su user ID.
> :-(
>
> Would,
> "Don't login as root, log in using your username and then use the su command"
> be better? send-pr?

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/