Subject: Re: X server config
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/1998 11:40:09
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 7:21 Uhr +0100 13.02.1998, Colin Wood wrote:
> >Justin R. Smith wrote:
> >
> >Although I could easily be wrong on this one, I don't think that our X
> >server actually looks at any command line options (at least not any
> >mac68k-specific ones).  That's probably something that should be worked
> >on.  However, the X server isn't doing the "optionmouse" stuff, anyway,
> >it's actually the NetBSD kernel that does it (although perhaps this should
> >change....I haven't quite figured out how it should work yet...)

Although you may have now decided me on this one.... :-)

> >> I've installed 'lesstif', a freeware version of Motif. Although it works
> >> well, it requires one to click and drag the right mouse button to quit (and
> >> I'm not that much of a contorsionist: I have to put a weight on the option
> >> key while I press the right arrow button and slide the mouse...)
>
> [...]
>
> >BTW, assuming you have a newer than 1.2D kernel, you can use
> >option-1, option-2, and option-3 key combos to emulate the 1st, 2nd, and
> >3rd mouse buttons, respectively.
>
> Now this is where I have to chime in...
>
> <rant>
> This "convenience" option <opt>-{1,2,3} has badly broken support for int'l
> keyboard mapping, as i pointed out in port-mac68k/4929.

Ah, I'll have to look at that.  I've been thinking of rewriting the
front-end to the ADB bus (not the backend, I don't want to get near that
:-)

> For non-American language support (yes, there is a world 8) you _do_ need
> <opt>-key combinations. As a result, with a German kbd mapping, I cannot
> type "@" because the kernel insists this is the left mouse button. Yeuch.

Hmmm...rather annoying.

> IMNSHO _if_ there has to be any remapping from key combinations to mouse
> buttons it should be done by the X server and be *configurable* -- the
> kernel has no business in this.
> </rant>

I'm wondering how easy that would be to do, but it probably won't be too
hard.

> Sorry to come on so strong, but it was a major PITA to spend an evening
> hacking out a correct German kbd layout just to find out that some ignorant
> US citizen had "recycled" important keys for "other things".  ;)

Actually, I think that Ken is Japanese, but.... :-)

> I couldn't even send-pr from the box because the "@" was missing!

Doh!  Well, fortunately, you can probably use the web page, I think.

Later.