Subject: Re: New version of SLOTMAN
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 17:30:33
On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> > Oh, yeah - one last caveat:  Just as in previous SLOTMAN kernels, this
> > will only be of use to you if you have nubus video.  Internal video is
> > still being worked on by Michael Zucca.
>
> Will the SLOTMAN kernels boot on systems without nubus video?  (i.e. do
> they contain the standard, 1-bit code for probing internal video on the
> systems that work with GENERIC kernels?)  If it hasn't been tried, would
> the results of such a test be useful?

Well, it certainly _should_ boot on any system that a normal GENERIC
works on.  But I haven't tried it.  So, for sure, go ahead and try, and
let me know either way.

And while I'm here, I oughtta add yet another caveat:  SLOTMAN kernels
use the old MRG_ADB code, not the HWDIRECT stuff.  So, if your Mac
doesn't work with MRG_ADB, it probably won't work with SLOTMAN either!

Updating to 1.3B and making sure it works with HWDIRECT are the two
things at the top of my SLOTMAN priority list.

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |