Subject: Re: Duo 230 multiple questions
To: Itamar S.-T. <itamars@ibm.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 13:44:52
Itamar S.-T. wrote:
> 1)  Can the Daishi kernel (based off 1.2.1) run  a NetBSD 1.3 system, or
> am I going to have to run 1.2.1?

No, it cannot.  It would work the other way around, however (a 1.3 kernel
_should_ be able to run 1.2 userland).

> 2)  When I did a test-boot, it says something about fpu-emulation.  Can I
> assume that the kernel is emulating an fpu, as I don't have one?

Yes, it is doing FPE, and as I believe the Duo's are '030-based, that
shouldn't be a real problem, just a performance impact.

> 3)  Is there any updated kernel with the claimed capabilities of the
> Daishi kernel (internal X, adb)?

Internal video, not that I know of.  The ADB changes are in the -current
source tree to the best of my knowledge, assuming that the kernel was
compiled with HWDIRECT support.  There are a couple of such kernels
available on Puma:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/kernels/

I think.  They should be 1.3 kernels.  Try them and see how it goes
(although you will probably still hit the internal video problem).

Perhaps someone will create a custom kernel that does have INTVID support
in it?  (If I remember to do so, I might try it this weekend).

Later.