Subject: Re: X on LC 475
To: None <spy007@pobox.alaska.net>
From: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 21:32:30
>ost wrote:
>>
>> hey there
>>
>> i ve just set up macBSD on an lc475
>> everything fine so far
>>
>> my question:
>> is X supposed to work on this model of a mac?
>>
>> when i do "startx" it just drops out very soon again saying:
>> X connection to :0.0 broken (explcit kill or serva shutdown)

It's quite capable of running without a window manager (but it's not very
interesting in this case).

Here's a sample '.xinitrc' file

----cut here----
xterm -sb &
xclock &
twm
----cut here----

(note that 'twm' has NO ampersand following it!)
You can also modify the menue for twm (the menu it produces when you click
on the desktop). I added the following lines to the menu definition in

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm/system.twmrc

(you can also put it in a file .twmrc in your home directory; putting it in
the above file makes it global to your system).

----cut here----
"New Window"       f.exec "xterm -sb & "
"emacs"            f.exec "emacs -font fixed -geometry 80x24 &"
----cut here----

(I installed emacs on my system)

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows              | Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore              | Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows            | Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~jsmith