Subject: Re: using netatalk's psf filter
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@netcommandos.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1998 03:00:59
On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:10:26 PST,
Bill Studenmund rearranged the electrons to say:
>On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Sean Sweda wrote:
>

>> Has anyone had success using the psf filter that comes with the
>> netatalk package with normal lpd printing?  I've tried to list
>> it as a filter in order to allow printing of non-postscript files
>> to a postscript printer, but it never seems to work.  Here's
>> an example of my printcap file:
>>
>> laser|Advantage Laser Printer:\
>>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:\
>>         :lp=/var/spool/lpd/laser/null:\
>>         :lf=/var/log/lpd/laser:\
>>         :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpsf:\
>>         :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ifpsf:\
>>         :tf=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/tfpsf:\
>>         :rm=lp:rp=lp_cr:mx#0:
>>
>> Piping a file through psf and then through lpr works fine, but
>> normal printing does not seem to invoke psf.
>
>I'd suggest doing something more like the psf manpage suggests:
>
>of=/stuff/ofpap
>if=/stuff/ifpaprev
>tf=/stuff/tfpaprev
>
>It seems ok for me. You can drop the "rev" bits, if you like.

But are you using AppleTalk printing or lpd printing?  I thought when
psf was invoked with "pap" in the filename that it tried to print to
the printer via papd/AppleTalk (or at least that is what the man page
says).  I want to print to a printer that supports BSD lpd printing,
but use psf as the text->postscript filter.

Sean

---
Sean Sweda
sweda@ibl.org                     http://www.ibl.org/~sweda