Subject: HELP : some newbie questions
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Fabiano Petrone <fabiano.petrone@bib.uniud.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 21:47:38
Hi to everybody.
Before all, excuse the cross-posting to 2 lists (netbds-help and netbsd-mac)
I've 3 questions : I hope not FAQ ones...
I've mounted NetBSD 1.3 on my 68k macintosh LC 630 (with the generic
kernel) and I'm following the Kochan's book "exploring the UNIX system" as
an introductory guide to the unix word.
here are the 3 questions. In all the examples I've logged as "root":

1. I've tried a simple pipe like "who | wc -l" and it works OK. I've saved
this pipe in a file on /root/pub (call it "file") and I've chmoded it as
executable with "chmod +x file".
well, the problem is that when I call "file" from the prompt #, the system
respond "file : not such command" : why?

2. I've FTP'ed the Unix perl package and I'd like to install it on NetBSD.
is it possible? where can  I find the instructions to do so? is this
"enterprise" something that also a newbie like me can do?

3. last : I've tried to define simple shell variables like:

# lenght=80

but when I try something like

#echo $lenght

I can't obtain the result expected (80): why? I guess a kernel problem?

thanks a lot in advance for your collaboration and still excuse the
cross-posting.

Bye

Fabiano