Subject: Re: Further observations...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Justin R. Smith <jsmith@mcs.drexel.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1998 00:15:34
Thanks for answering my questions, Mr. Wood!  I'll download hfsutils and
build them. I also overlooked the ability to use the Installer to simply
copy files into the Unix system via cpin and cpout...

I'm in the throes of building clisp (a free common Lisp). It comes with an
elaborate configure script that tests (among other things) for a working
'mmap' function. (It is capable of running without it (about 7% slower)).

Unfortunately the very TEST for 'mmap' crashes the kernel, dropping me into
a debugger.  The only viable option, at this point seems to be to reboot.

I had to rename the include file for 'mmap' (sys/mman.h -> sys/z_mman.h)so
the configure script wouldn't even test for it.  This may be a BSD 4.4 bug
rather than something peculiar to NetBSD.

Time blows wildly against my door       | Justin R. Smith
Stirring discarded sorrows              | Department of Mathematics and
Like dead leaves of summers past        |     Computer Science
Memories of forgotten lore              | Drexel University
Making way for new tomorrows            | Philadelphia, PA 19104
New hopes, new fears,                   |
         and new ways that last         | Office: (215) 895-1847

c Justin R. Smith, March 14, 1994       | Fax:    (215) 895-1582

My home page: http://www.mcs.drexel.edu/~jsmith